We're always looking for old mixtapes. We don't care if they were made by a big-name dj or not. In fact, it'd be nice to hear what kids were doing in their bedroom studios back in the 90s. We're also interested in dj equipment modifications if you've come up with something tight.

hit us at sheldiack at gmail dot com

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Isaac's Favorite Cuts - Part VIII

Okay, so this isn't actually a review of any of my favorite scratching, but it's always had me a little perplexed, so I thought I'd throw it out there. In the Pete Rock & CL Smooth song "The Creator", Pete Rock steps to the fore with mic in hand. It's a respectable outing. I had completely forgotten about how strange the video is (P.R. busting some really, um, funky dance moves in his pirate costume -- complete with Seinfeld "puffy" shirt). But just as strange is how Pete Rock apparently hands off the scratching duties to C.L. Smooth at the end of the second chorus:


What?! Not that it's mindblowing by today's standards, but for someone who was never known as a deejay (at least I didn't know he was), it's a pretty killer little 1991 cut section (especially the ending accelerating stutter thing). And to top it off, Pete Rock is spliced in doing some extra retarded dancing (again, in the pirate costume). I can't find my cassette to check the liner notes -- does anyone know if this is for real?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home