We're always looking for old mixtapes. We don't care if they were made by a big-name dj or not. In fact, it'd be nice to hear what kids were doing in their bedroom studios back in the 90s. We're also interested in dj equipment modifications if you've come up with something tight.

hit us at sheldiack at gmail dot com

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Isaac's Favorite Cuts - Part IV

Who could put together a list of all-time favorite
hip hop djs and not include DJ Scratch? Not
me, that's for sure. To be sure, EPMD was hot
before he was part of the group, but after Scratch
joined was when shit really got good.

I guess everyone has their own favorite EPMD
record, but Business As Usual is definitely mine.
I think this record came out in 1990, and Scratch
wasn't playing! Check him out on "Rampage":








Later, he ends the record with "Funky Piano." I
always found myself fast-forwarding to get
to this song (which he also produced);
his transforming just killed me:








I like how you can hear the sound of the phono/
line switch (or maybe it's a crusty old fader?)
in this very last segment:








I have no idea why I was watching it, but I also
caught Scratch in this cheesy hip hop movie
from the mid 90s called "Fly By Night." The
movie is awful (hilarious), but there is a scene
where Scratch is doing his famous "Friday
the 13th - I'ma Play Jason" routine. Classic.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait...What was that ill cut that I believe Scratch did with the indian sounding cry cuts? Or does this not remind you of anything...??

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home